Thursday 9 August 2007

Starting to carve...

After research on the web, I've managed to get a reasonable angle and edge on my largest gouge, and have started roughing out the shape.

Anthony Dew says that 'the novice carver is likely to make either (or both) of two basic errors: carving away too much, or carving away too little.' Thanks, Anthony. Scylla and Charybdis.

And then there's the grain; I'm going along nicely, and suddenly the wood bites back, and I have to change angle. You don't get this problem with wax modelling. You can add bits on, too, with wax.

I hope this is entertaining you expert carvers out there.

3 comments:

Timberati said...

Entertaining to non-carvers as well. I find the result (so far) pleasing.

Timberati said...

I'm following the progress and think it quite fascinating.

Lexi said...

Thanks, Norm. I think I'm on the easy bit right now. Jackie sent me a lot of photos from all angles of her J & G Lines, so there's no excuse to get it wrong.

It's a lot of fun, I'm really enjoying it.