Sunday, 29 July 2007

A paper head for starters...

My lutemaker friend, Stephen Gottlieb, (see his website, Lutemaker) is going to cut me up some wood for my headless horse's head. I have been working out the dimensions, using a photo of a rather nice J & G Lines horse of similar age.

This photo shows a paper cutout stuck on the horse to give an idea of how it will look. I have tried various increments of size. I think this is it.

I am going to use lime, instead of the pine it was. This has the advantage of showing that it is a later addition, should anyone not realize...

I have the original wooden back to the saddle which I will replace.

(Tell me if you think this head outline looks wrong. I would welcome second opinions).

2 comments:

Timber Beast said...

It may be an optical illusion; the bulge in the neck looks larger than the horse below.

Lexi said...

You may be right; the horse I copied is a very curvy one. I went for a tad larger than I thought, with the idea of chiselling more off if necessary.

These are uncharted waters for me.